Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Does God Speak to Man?





Does God really speak to man? Will He continue to speak? This question has been presented to me many times on my mission. In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe in personal revelation and prophets and apostles whom God speaks to today. People have said




God is

Dead!




or

We 

             don't need

Him 
to tell us anything!


          I heard that
God said
everything .....  He was going to tell us,


                       or

everything we need is in the Bible.




I researched this topic and found many scriptures that explain.


God does speak! He has spoken to man since He created us! We can see His words written in the
God speaks to prophets, they then write down and teach how word
scriptures, these are the words of life and we can learn so much from them. God gives His word unto many nations, and He does not give all his word to one. God said:
 "Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also. And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever. Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written." (2 Nephi 29:8-10)


The scriptures come together to testify of His love and of His commandments. They show us the Plan of Salvation, and they testify of Christ. A single witness cannot stand fully on its own. In every nation where people worship God, there was a prophet sent. The prophets were the mouthpiece of God. God would teach the prophet what to say and the prophet would then teach the people! God has always revealed His laws to prophets like Abraham, Moses, Elijah, Jeremiah in the middle east, but when their were people in the Americas that believed as well, He sent prophets like Nephi, Alma and Heleman.

"Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." (Amos 3:7) God blesses all people who believe in him. The Nephites in the Book of Mormon had their own prophets and their own scriptures. Peter said: "Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him. And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead. To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins." (Acts 10:34-35, 42-43)

 Following the words of Peter, God said that He will speak unto all nations: "For behold, I shall speak unto the Jews and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the Nephites and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the other tribes of the house of Israel, which I have led away, and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto all nations of the earth and they shall write it." (2 Nephi 29:12) 

But does God speak today? Well if we follow what He has said in Malachi, "For I am the Lord, I change not;" (Malachi 3:6)

 "For I know that God is not a partial God, neither a changeable being; but he is unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity." (Moroni 8:18) 

"Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever." (Hebrews 13:8)

 If He spoke to men in the days of Moses and Abraham and Jeremiah, and He does not change, and He is not a "partial" God(Being our God today and vanish tomorrow), then would it not be possible for him to speak to men today? Some say God is dead and that he doesn't speak to anyone anymore. Some say that when Christ died on the cross and said "it is finished" and he died, that it was the end of Gods dealings with men. 



This scripture says otherwise.

"And now, O all ye that have imagined up unto yourselves a god who can do no miracles, I would ask
of you,...Has the end come yet? Behold I say unto you, Nay; and God has not ceased to be a God of miracles. Behold, are not the things that God hath wrought marvelous in our eyes?.. Who shall say that it was not a miracle that by his word the heaven and the earth should be; and by the power of his word man was created of the dust of the earth; and by the power of his word have miracles been wrought? And who shall say that Jesus Christ did not do many mighty miracles? And there were many mighty miracles wrought by the hands of the apostles. And if there were miracles wrought then, why has God ceased to be a God of miracles and yet be an unchangeable Being? And behold, I say unto you he changeth not; if so he would cease to be God; and he ceaseth not to be God, and is a God of miracles. And the reason why he ceaseth to do miracles among the children of men is because that they dwindle in unbelief, and depart from the right way, and know not the God in whom they should trust." (Mormon 9:15-20)


"And again I speak unto you who deny the revelations of God, and say that they are done away, that there are no revelations, nor prophecies, nor gifts, nor healing, nor speaking with tongues, and the interpretation of tongues; Behold I say unto you, he that denieth these things knoweth not the gospel of Christ; yea, he has not read the scriptures; if so, he does not understand them." (Mormon 9:7-8) God speaks to men on earth today! He leads his church with his own voice once again heard through a Prophet of God.


Well my friends, the purpose of this post, is to help us understand that:





Remember in 2 Nephi 29 he said "And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure...for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever." He gives us proof so we can know as we sincerely search and ask for the answer. His work is not finished, neither will it be done until the end of time. I know that to be true in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment